Saturday, December 27, 2008

My New Years Resolutions


During 2008, I have made it a big point to make my genealogy the best it can be. During this, I have completely re-started my tree, starting with myself and truly working my way backwards. I have made sure that everything is properly sourced and that I am not overlooking any records. I want my genealogy to be worth something to someone someday and that won't happen if everything isn't properly sourced and clearly written out.


While I haven't spent as much time on my genealogy as I would have liked because of school obligations, the big move I made in October, and chaos on the home front, I have done pretty well. So as I reflect as to what I want to do with the new year concerning my genealogy and blogging, I've come up with some pretty neat resolutions:


1.) Continue to have everything sourced!! This may seem like a no-brainer, but I certainly made the mistake of not doing this when I first started my genealogy and I am paying an extremely heavy price as I try to go through each person.


2.) On my desk I have a clipboard, which has multiple sheets of paper on it. On these sheets of paper is random little to-do items, websites I want to check out, and articles I want to read. I want to finally get rid of the stuff on this list so that I can have a clean slate.


3.) Since I aspire to become a future teacher, there is no doubt that I value and love education. So this year, I hope to educate myself further in genealogy and then share that knowledge with you. I want to write more how-to articles and give you guys tips. I hope that what I learn will be a bit out of the ordinary - something that gives me an edge in the genealogy world. I'm not quite sure what I will learn about genealogy that will be so different and unique - maybe a weird organizing tip or a cool way to look through records... well, we'll find out soon enough.


4.) I want my blog to have a good appearance - so I will definitely be learning some more about blogging and getting traffic here.


5.) I want my Graveyard Rabbit Blog to be the best it can be!! I want to write more content and really get it off the ground.


So there you go - my genealogy and blogging New Years Reslutions! I would love to hear about some of yours.

6 comments:

Becky Thompson said...

I love it that you're such an upbeat and positive person! You're like a breath of fresh air. Thanks, Elyse!

Greta Koehl said...

Excellent set of resolutions. You are especially brave to follow up on the sourcing part - that's not easy to do.

This is a great blog and I enjoy reading it. My older daughter is the same age as you are ... now if I could just get her into genealogy.

Anonymous said...

A great can-do attitude. I believe you can!

footnoteMaven said...

It warms the footnoteMaven's heart to see sourcing as one of your resolutions.

You will be a great teacher!

-fM

Professor Dru said...

Sourcing is the key--wish I had done a better job when I began genealogy 14 years ago.

Best wishes in completing your 2009 genealogy goals.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.