Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Featuring a County From USGenWeb: Carter County, Tennessee

As part of a new series, every week I will be featuring a county website from the USGenWeb Project.  I feel that it is important to spread the word about this helpful and free resource (free is my favorite price).  I will not feature every county, but instead feature the counties that I find to be the most useful.

What is The USGenWeb Project?

The USGenWeb Project is a collection of free webpages that are created and updated by volunteers who are willing to post helpful genealogy information.  The website is divided up by state and then by county.  Each county and state has different amounts of information and the quality of information really varies.  The more involved the genealogy community is to share information on the county and state webpages, the better the webpages will be.  To read more about the USGenWeb Project, click here.


Featuring... Carter County, Tennessee.


This week's county website is Carter County, Tennessee.


The webpage may look plain but don't be fooled.  It is so full of useful and helpful information.

Possibly one of my favorite resources is the "Carter County Pensioners - 1835".  It is a list of the men that were recieving this pension and living in Carter County.


The webpage also has the free census indexes for the 1830, 1840, 1850, and 1860 Federal Census for Carter County.


Another feature of the Carter County, Tennessee USGenWeb Project webpage is the Query section.  You can either view Queries or you can submit a Query.  It is a very good idea to submit a query because it gets your genealogy research out there.  It also gives prospective cousins and other researchers a chance to find you and send you some information.

While this is not all of the great features that the Carter County, Tennessee USGenWeb Project webpage offers, it is a great start.  I highly suggest that you check out the this website if you have ancestors that lived in Carter County.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great blog series :) I love the USGenWeb site. I've used it to help locate the graves of my ancestors in DeKalb county Alabama.

I've been recently bitten by the genealogy bug too. I think I've always had it in my system though--my parents have researched our family history extensively, mainly before the advent of the internet. And now I'm helping to take over the research :)

Anyway, great blog!

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Thank you for featuring USGenWeb sites. I began as a county coordinator in 1996. We need more folks to be involved to continue to improve the sites. Thanks, again.

Keep these ancestor stories coming!

Bill ;-)

http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"