Saturday, December 12, 2009

BIG Announcement

Hey Everyone - I've been waiting to tell you guys a BIG announcement.

So reserve the date: Friday, June 11, 2010. I'll not only be at the Southern California Genealogical Society's Jamboree - I'll be a speaker!! *Cue the Fun Dance Music*

On Friday, June 11, 2010 I'll be presenting a class called "Using Your Computer's Video Camera". I am so excited about this opportunity. This is going to be a fun and interactive class to help you learn how to use your video camera to benefit your research.

First off - I just want to say that this almost feels unreal. I am in awe and shock that I've been asked to do this class - however I feel so much love and support from all of my genealogy friends that I know I do this. I have learned so much from all of you and learned a lot about myself.

Secondly, I did the biggest genealogy happy dance EVER! This is such a dream come true - especially since I've been day dreaming of what it would be like to speak to a group of lecturers at a gathering, although I never imagined anything as cool as this. I've just never known how to get started and I told myself that I had other priorities to deal with right now, like school and my own research. I also told myself that I had plenty of time to make that dream a reality and possibly a nice side hobby during college and after. But with all of that daydreaming, I never imagined that it would become a reality.

Thirdly, now that I am on the path of my dream, I want to apologize to my family and friends because I can't stop talking about this. I've been asking them for their opinions and ideas and doing brainstorms with them already - and honestly it is only going to get much, much worse. My wonderful boyfriend put it perfectly: "Wow - combining your two favorite things: teaching and genealogy. The only way this could get better for you is if you taught the genealogy of Harry Potter". I must admit, he is very true. (But seeing as Harry Potter is a fictional character made up by the genius J.K Rowling, unfortunately, that dream is not likely to become a reality).

Finally, I can't wait to see all of you in person again at the Jamboree! I had such a blast with you guys last year. We are going to need to make some pretty cool plans for hanging out between sessions and do that Geneabloggers dinner again.

Just remember - I can't sit at the bar for drinks so lets make plans to sit at a table so I can order a Shirley Temple.

20 comments:

kinfolknews said...

Congratulations, Elyse! That's wonderful!
~Regina

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Congratulations! I did a little proofreading for SCGS, so I knew the secret yesterday. When I saw your name on the list, I was thrilled. I can't wait for Jamboree--I'll be mingling with all the speakers!

Terri O'Connell said...

Congratulations, this is wonderful news!

Gini said...

Congratulations Elyse, I couldn't think of a better person to fill the shoes! It's going to be awesome.

Dennis said...

Way to go!!! Wish I could make it.

Bill West said...

Great news, Elyse!

Sheri Fenley said...

Elyse you Dahling girl! This is perfect for you. "Fun Dance Music" - a topic near and dear to me as you know I love to get my "groove on" in the frozen food aisle at any grocery store!

Congratulations!

Greta Koehl said...

This is the most wonderful news! I wish California weren't on the other side of the country from me. (And I grew up in SoCal!)

Unknown said...

I'm really happy for you Elyse... I'm sure it's just the first of many successful genealogy presentations to come! Definitely planning on attending...

Tracy said...

Congratulations!!!

RootsMagic said...

Congratulations Elyse!

sjtaliaferro said...

Great news, Elyse. Congratulations!

Katrina said...

Congrats! I wish I could go.

And thanks for being another Gen Y voice for genealogy. It's nice to know we're not alone. :)

Tim Cox said...

Elyse this is such a great thing to happen in your life! It's just another small step on your goal to become an accomplished speaker on the genealogy circuit.

I bow to the youngest genealogist that I know!

Tim

Miriam Robbins said...

Elyse, I'm so excited for you, AND I hope to attend this year. I'd love to be in your class!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Thomas MacEntee said...

This is wonderful news Elyse! I can't wait to see you again at this year's Jamboree!

Kathryn Doyle said...

Fantastic news, Elyse! I'm so excited for you. Not to worry - you don't have to bore your family. Many, many of your fellow gen-bloggers are willing to "listen" to any of your ideas and give you feedback. After all, we knew you before you were a famous speaker!

Kathryn Lake Hogan said...

Greetings Elyse,
That so rocks! Congrats!
-Kathryn

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful -- and to start off pretty doggone near the top is not bad, either! You'll enjoy it!

I wish I could attend but I, too, am on the other coast!

So have big fun.