Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Setting Goals For 2010

With the holiday season right upon us, all of us are running around like crazy people! Between going to the mall to shop for gifts, cleaning the house because the relatives are coming over, putting up the mass amounts of decorations, and trying to get all of that holiday baking done - we are all pretty overwhelmed with busy. In my case, I was neck deep in finals and just trying to survive the remainder of the semester.

But this doesn't even leave time for genealogy for most of us. Yet, I am shocked at how some of you Geneabloggers get so much done! (My theory is that some of you have clones...).

Since I've been out of school, I've been enjoying lots of genealogy catch up time (and lots of much needed sleep). But I have so many genealogy things to do and so little time to do it. So I've decided to make some clear goals for 2010:

  1. Break down the George Rogers brick wall once and for all. Not only would this give me huge satisfaction since he is my most challenging ancestor - but this would also make my Aunt Deb very happy since George Rogers is the one that she wants to know about the most.
  2. Research back to a Revolutionary War ancestor. I have two *probable* ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary war, but I am having a lot of difficulty in proving the relationships and getting documents.
  3. I want to start some research on my boyfriend's family tree. I've heard so many stories, so now it is time to
  4. I want to start telling my little cousin, Audrie more about our ancestors. She is only 7, but I want her to know more about her ancestors and get her acquainted with seeing old pictures and hearing old stories.
  5. I want to connect with more of you genealogists! I love talking to you, learning from you, and joking around with you guys. You are all so much fun!
  6. My presentation at the SCGS Jamboree 2010 in Burbank, California is going to be AWESOME. I want it to be educational, fun, and interactive. My goal is to have everyone walking away with a smile on their face.
2010 is going to be a big year for me. I'm going to be graduating with an A.A. degree in June. Then I will be doing a genealogy presentation for the first time the same weekend. Finally, in August I will be turning 21 - and be starting school again at a university! Yep - 2010 is going to be a good year.

4 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

Oh it figures the young genealogy crowd would get a head start on 2010 genealogy resolutions. First you, then Nick Gombash. I was going to do mine next week after Christmas!

Madaleine J. Laird said...

Good for you, Elyse! Setting reachable goals has always been a challenge for me. I've read that SMART goals are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely. You're off to an excellent start already! Best wishes to you for 2010 and beyond.

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

You inspire this old lady who has always hated routine to set some goals, too. I'd better, because I have a year-long research project staring me in the face!

Which university will you be attending? I wish it was the University of North Florida, because I'd love to meet you! And what have you selected as a major?

Good luck in the new year.

Elyse said...

Karen - I will probably be going to California State University Dominguez Hills or California State University Long Beach. I know I got accepted into Dominguez, but Long Beach won't tell me until January.

I will be majoring in Liberal Studies for Elementary Education. I am following in my aunts, uncles, and cousins footsteps to be a teacher.