Saturday, May 2, 2009

SNGF: Top 10 Genealogy Sites

It's Saturday Night - so that means it's time for Saturday Night Genealogy Fun thanks to Randy over at Genea-Musings.  This week it is all about our top ten genealogy websites.

So, in order from my favorite to my least favorite, here are my top ten genealogy websites:
  1. Ancestry.com - Its a great website with lots of content
  2. Footnote.com - I love their newspaper collection and the Footnote Pages!
  3. Facebook.com - Networking with other genealogists.  Need I say more?
  4. FamilySearch.com - Awesome site with some good databases
  5. Genealogy.com - They've got a great chatroom with lots of helpful people and great message boards.
  6. Twitter.com - Great place to network and find links to awesome blog posts.
  7. Rootsweb.com - Databases
  8. Geni.com - I'm slowly but surely learning to love this website.
  9. Usgenweb.com - Great state and county websites
  10. Cyndislist.com - The best organized list of links for genealogy

2 comments:

arnonh said...

I think ranking Facebook as one of the top 5 is just brilliant, however with a bit different focus-on-purpose. For a long time, I've been successfully using Facebook as a great tool for locating (mostly younger) distant relatives. They are all there! The most useful feature for that is, of course, the Friends list, by the help of which you can check if that guy is indeed the wanted one.

Anonymous said...

I like Geni.com more than ancestry.com. Bacsically while there is more content on ancestry.com I find that the sight runs slower then Geni.com. I liek that Geni tells you how you are related to each individual in your tree as well as being able to view more then five generations at a time, being able to merge duplicates rather then attempting to deal with them on ancestry. I've facebooka nd twitter and like them for friends more then family but both are on each. I haven't looked at the other sites but I'll check them out. Good luck with your tree!