Saturday, January 31, 2009

Anyone Going To The Southern C.A Genealogy Jamboree?

I am trying to save enough money to be able to go to the Southern California Genealogy Jamboree for 2009 that will be held in Burbank, California on June 26 - 28.  (Get more information on their blog)

I am really excited to be going and so excited to meet new people and people who I know online. But I have to admit, I am still a little nervous to be going to my very first genealogy conference by myself.  I'll will most likely be able to stay with family overnight, which will cut down on expenses.  

But, I am nervous about being by myself for some of the time in Burbank, which is not an area I know very well.  I guess I just don't do a lot of stuff far away from home by myself.

Is there anyone else out there who is as nervous as I am?  I know I shouldn't be nervous, because I am going to meet so many wonderful people.  But I guess I just can't help it.  My fears will melt away once I get there.

So is anyone else planning on going to the Jamboree?


4 comments:

Sheri Fenley said...

I'm planning on going Elyse. You're right, once you walk in the door, you will wonder what all the fuss you made was about!

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

I'll be there and won't know anybody either. I'll have a car, but I don't know my way around Burbank.

Don't worry too much about not knowing anybody. Once you walk through the door, you won't be alone. You end up talking with people and pretty soon you have dinner companions for the entire conference.

We'll talk closer to the conference and compare notes. I bet we go to some of the same events and you won't be alone at all. :)

Randy Seaver said...

I'm planning on being there too.

My guess is that there will be 15 to 25 genealogy bloggers there, and they will be happy to meet you and share with you and vice versa.

We all know who you are and what you look like and wish that we had a daughter or grand-daughter who loves genealogy like you do!

You'll have a lot of fun, and hear some great talks too by wonderful lecturers.

Kathryn Doyle said...

Hi Elyse,
I'm planning to go again, too. Last year was my first Jamboree - and the first that CGS had a table in the Exhibit Hall. We'll definitely have to plan a Genea-Blogger lunch or dinner!